Friday, 27 September 2013

To Do List #45 - Walk 15 million Steps = Complete!

On Wednesday 19th January 2011 I took my first steps towards my 15 million steps goal. 

My aim was to spend the next 4 years clocking 10,000 steps on my pedometer on a daily basis in order to lose weight, get healthy and maintain it. It was certainly the biggest personal challenge I had ever set myself. 

Day 1 was complete after visiting the gym. I ached. My face was red, my hair was a mess, my heart rate was up and I could hardly breathe. I was excited. I had taken my first steps towards my huge challenge but there was a long, long way to go.

Fast forward to the 24th September 2013 at 4:32 PM, I tweeted this picture:


It was quite a boring picture but it meant everything to me. I was standing outside the very building where I ended day 1 of my steps challenge. 980 days later, 1 year, 3 months and 26 days ahead of schedule, I had reached 15 million steps.

I was excited, delighted, relieved, proud...I was everything you could ever imagine. I had done it! I had become the 15 million step man!!!

The Final Stats!

My average step count throughout the whole challenge was 15,306 steps per day. This averages out at approximately 7 miles per day. 

In total I had walked 6,860 miles (11050 kilometres) which is the equivalent of 262 marathons or 2,213 races with a distance of 5k . 

If I walked in a single straight line from my hometown of Southampton, England then my final destination would have been in Buenos Aires, Argentina.


Some fun stats!

If I could walk as fast as a Boeing 747 (500 mph) that would clock me in at just over 14 hours flight time. 

If I walked as slow as a garden snail (0.03 mph) then it would have taken me 228,667 hours of slime time.

If I had been walking 24 hours a day then my overall speed would have been 0.29 mph and it would have taken me 23,655 hours.

I took 13,660,588 steps with my Sportline 345 Step Distance Pedometer (I bought 4 in total) and 1,339,412 steps with my Fitbit Flex wristband. 



I want to thank everyone who has shown their support along the journey, every message, comment, tweet, email has helped keep me going and I couldn't have done it without you 

Finally I have to thank one person in particular. Thank you Kerina for helping me, in particularly towards the end of my challenge when I got injured and really struggled. You are a genius when it comes to maths and you have provided me with some brilliant stats. More importantly you're an amazing person for keeping me focused and motivated and you have given so much support to me and even counted up ALL 15 million of my steps, which is something I will never forget as well as keeping me updated at all times. You're the very best! Thank you SO much!!! <3 xx

Now...what shall I do for my next challenge?

10 comments:

  1. WOO HOO! CONGRATS!
    and thank you for sharing your journey good and bad with all of us. you've inspired and motivated me more than you'll ever know....................now what? are you gonna keep tracking for 20 million? 50, 100? how many steps to circumvent the earth? the skys the limit you can do ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great, now you need to return

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, TIM!! I am grinning ear to ear :D
    I am beyond proud and so, so happy for you!! Thank you for allowing me to virtually step alongside you as you worked toward completing this VERY admirable journey. Quite simply, you are amazing. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Tim! You set a goal, you worked towards it, and you succeeded! That's awesome :)
    Good luck finding your new challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are spectacular, Timmo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAY! TO! GO!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a crazy amount of steps!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so incredibly proud of you. Every day you inspire me to be a better person. I feel so lucky to be a part of your support team and hope to cheer you on in everything you do. You mean the world to me. Great job, 15 million man :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. If you are new to my blog, please say hi and leave your blog address if you have one :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...